Question:
Will our cat be okay living with someone else for a while?
seriousquestions
2006-03-06 14:20:18 UTC
My husband and I are moving out of state, and will be moving around a lot for a couple of months. Our cat (our baby!) will be staying with my mom for this time, but I want to know if this is okay- I'm sooooo attatched to him, and I know he's attached to us as well. Has anyone else ever left their cat in someone else's care for an extended period of time? Any help/ advice will be appreciated! (We decided not to bring him because it will be too much stress on him and us, and places we will be may not allow pets!)
Six answers:
wish1765
2006-03-06 15:11:07 UTC
AS I think someone else mentioned, animals do feel 'stress' when their surrounding and daily routines are altered. What many people do, is wean them from the regular routine to the new one. For example, start taking her places with you in the car, and definately introduce your cat to your mom and her house as much as possible, so at least she can get acquanted with the place, before she has to stay there for an extended period of time.

In the end, cats are independent by nature, and normally are able to take things in stride. For example, my cat had to stay with my brother for 2 weeks, and the first two days he acted out, and peed on things (which wasn't like him), but he was mearly feeling intimidated and so was marking his territory. And once he fell into a routine at my brothers, my cat was HAPPY AS A CLAM*
thisgirl
2006-03-06 22:32:08 UTC
Animals have stress when they are separated from their families. I am sure that your mom will take good care of your cat and when you are reunited your cat will be glad to be back together. Being a cat he might be moody for a bit, just to show you how put out he was.
n0negativity
2006-03-06 23:07:30 UTC
I'm sure your Mom will take great care of him. He'll probably be stressed some from seperation, but sounds like he will be in good hands.
crystal & benjamin
2006-03-07 07:24:53 UTC
I could never do that with my babies, because I would be worried the whole time. Just think of the first night you have to go to sleep, not knowing if he is ok, or where exactly he is. But that is just me.

But sure, if he knows your mom, and you trust her to not let anyting happen to him, I guess it would be alright.
Colin C.
2006-03-06 22:21:28 UTC
yes
Mom
2006-03-06 22:22:57 UTC
If he knows your mother he should be fine.