Question:
can cats be depressed?
notyouraveragesportfan
2006-03-23 17:31:41 UTC
just curious.
Eleven answers:
2006-03-23 18:05:17 UTC
Absolutely! My 13-year-old Himalayan, Kirchen, was very depressed for a while after her sister Kepler died last year. We had to put Kepler to sleep when she became very sick with lymphoma, a very aggressive cancer. She didn't want to eat much or play, and she just clung to my husband and I. Kepler and Kirchen were very close in age and looked very much alike. We have another cat named Skye who didn't want to spend much time in the house afterwards. Since then, we got a Siamese kitten named Schrodinger who is now 9 months old, and he keeps them on their toes-- he doesn't give them time to mope, LOL! Schrodie was a kitten that one of our clients found in her bushes, and being a "Meezer" kitten, he just wants to play all the time!

If you can't pinpoint a reason why your cat would be emotionally depressed, it's possible that he's sick. If he's not eating well, or otherwise isn't acting right, take him to a vet to be sure that he isn't physically sick. Cats can't tell us if they don't feel well, and being cats they wouldn't tell us even if they could. Cats hide illness as a protective measure-- a sick cat in the wild is an easy mark for an enemy. Have him checked out. Better safe than sorry!
OKvet
2006-03-23 19:36:35 UTC
Anthropocentric question. To express an animal's feelings in terms of human emotions is difficult. No one can be certain. They do not view or approach life like we do, so the answer to your question is: we don't know. Example: A cat is a creature of habit. When something we perceive to be traumatic happens to a cat, the change in behavior may be a similar shift in emotions that we would feel or the cat may be exhibiting behavior only because it's routine has been interrupted.

My guess: yeah, sure they do. Why not?
manda082
2006-03-23 17:33:45 UTC
I think so..a few years ago when my cat was still alive, my sister had a guinea pig. The day before, of, and a few days after the guinea pig died, my cat and both of our dogs seemed depressed: they didn't want to play or be outside or anything, so yes, I think cats can be depressed.
Leasha
2006-03-23 20:28:15 UTC
yes - they can - the same thing happened to my cat when it lose its sister (she would chase "her sister" through the house)-- just play with them more and give them a little more attention
2006-03-23 18:36:36 UTC
yeah i mean they just like humans to make your cat feel better play with it more and he be happy in no time
2006-03-23 17:33:18 UTC
Yep. They tend to throw up when depressed, or pee on the furniture. It's very weird, probably caused because something is amiss in either there food, there "special spot" or even you yourself as the owner.

Hope that helps :D
delebri
2006-03-23 21:03:22 UTC
my vet just recently put my cat on antidepressants she was not handling the addition to our family very well
2006-03-23 17:53:29 UTC
Yes, all animals can be depressed.
chad_mercure2001
2006-03-23 17:46:14 UTC
yes
horse_lover139205
2006-03-23 17:33:03 UTC
Yes they can cats and other animals have feelings just like humans...bad but true its harder though cuz they cant tell u wats wrong w/ them.
Bridget
2006-03-23 17:33:38 UTC
yes they feel the same way as humans do....... but not to the extent we feel emotions.