Question:
Flea Problem?
sweet_smo
2006-01-11 06:36:07 UTC
My cat Tiger has fleas. He lives at my dad's shop in the back where they build equipment. (He likes it there & we can't take him home.) We've tried to get rid of his flea problem by collars & medicine you put on the back of his neck. He got sick from the medicine & he tore the collar off. He hates water like most cats. I don't really know what to do. I have a very limited budget by the way. Any suggestions??
Three answers:
2006-01-20 18:43:45 UTC
in addition to the other methods you've tried, add some garlic powder to his wet food. it not only repels internal and external parasites, but it's really good for giving them that nice, shiny coat.

by the way, you have to consistantly feed him garlic in his wet food for this to have any real effect.
bmcvicker1
2006-01-11 06:58:56 UTC
I don't know what you used when you placed the product on the back of his neck.

I work in pest control and the best thing to do is take him to the vet. If you do not have the funds to do so, then use the back of the neck thing again but make sure that it has the active ingredient fipronil. This has an extremely low toxicity to mammals. It should not make him sick. If it does, he is probably allergic to it. If this is the case, then I would take him to the vet.

You should probably treat the areas that the cat frequents also. I really cannot recommend any products since the ones that I use are for licensed proffesionals only. Try reading the labels of anything that you buy. Make sure that fleas are listed on the label. Also make sure that the area that you are applying to is listed on the label.

Also, vacuuming areas that the cat is around really helps to remove adult, larvae, and pupae from the area. Just remember to throw out the bag when you are done. Vacuuming does not kill them.

Hope this helps.
GreenCat
2006-01-12 18:48:07 UTC
i know cats don't like water, but the best thing to do is to give the cat a quick dip into water. use special cat shampoo for getting rid of fleas. be careful becaue the cat will scratch a little, but if you do it fast and quick, they dry at the end, your cat will be flea-less!