Question:
What should I look for in a kitten's behavior?
bjmarchini
2006-03-23 06:20:40 UTC
My current cat is very social. Sometimes I think he acts more like a dog than cat, but it has been many years since I adopted him as a kitten so I really don't remember him as much when he was very young. I think I just got lucky. On the other hand, my parent's cat is extremely anti-social (always hiding under the bed and hissing at anything that moves). Are there any signs I should look for when going to rescue groups or shelters. I would think the younger the better (to an extent - not too young). I really would like one that is very social like my current one.
Thirteen answers:
flkeysgirl2001
2006-03-23 06:31:40 UTC
I've owned several cats over the years, and currently have four. If you go to a shelter (that's the best place, they have so many sweet kittens), look for one that is bright eyed and trying to get your attention. When you take him/her out of the cage to play, make sure that it isn't too skittish, or that it doesn't try to hide.

Other than that, when you get your new kitten home, just love it and give it lots of attention and you should have a very loving friend for a long time to come. Good luck!
Pringle
2006-03-23 07:14:36 UTC
All I can honestly say is.. YIKES! I should tell you a story. MY cat is very much like yours. She is a social queen, and I hade her for almost ten years now. If your cat is female, by this time you owned her she expects to be the queen of the house (Pampered, all attention on her, she doesnt need more little kittens). If it is a male, he expects to be the kind. (All attention on HIM, and no little kittens to clog his royalty). What you need to do is think about this, I have had bad experiences. Take gradual, gradual steps to letting your cat meet the kitten you choose. Here are some steps..

1) Rub the kitten with a washcloth THOROUGHLY, then lay the washcloth in the middle of a room your cat goes in often. Dont let your cat see the kitten, and dont touch the washcloth other than putting it in the living room. Let your cat get used to the scent of another cat.

2) Have a neighboor, NOT I repeat NOT you hold the kitten and come in the same room as the cat. While this happens, you should be comforting your own cat. If you hold the kitten, the cat will get the impression its misplaced, and the kitten will not be in your household as long as the cat is.

3) Supervised interaction! Nobody should be holding cats at this point. Do both steps one and two several times for about a month. In this step, nobody i holding the cat but theyre both in the same room. Let them start far away and gradually move closer if theyre comfortable. Repeat this step several times.

I wish you the best of luck, doing this really makes a difference, rather than just introducing a new pet!
armydude82
2006-03-23 06:49:28 UTC
At a young age kittens are generally outgoing and friendly but sometimes it doens't make a difference. I had a kitten that was very friendly at a young age and at around age 2 started acting unfriendly, biting, hissing and crappoing all over the house (ohh what a nightmare!). On the other hand working at the PSPCA years ago i've seen a mean street kitten that i've been able to talk to and socialize him to humans and turned out to become really great house cat. Cats are like humans and they can act out just like humans so just try to give the best home available for an animal to keep him/her off the streets.
GoddessofCoughSyrup
2006-03-23 06:38:06 UTC
Ah I can help you with this. Before I answer, consider adopting an adult cat. You can see their personality after it's stabilized from the kitten years.

Here's what to look for - make sure the cat is healthy.. eyes are bright, etc... a sick cat will be apathetic - you're looking for a relaxed cat, not apathetic. Then, handle the cat. See if you can put the cat on its back, hold it in the air, etc. You're looking for a cat that will be ok with that and is comfortable and trusting. It indicates a very confident, calm cat. See if you can rub the belly without the cat getting scared (belly is an area that's "vulnerable" in a cat.. it also may stimulate a male cat's sexual response but that response is different than fear). If the cat is relaxed and allows you to move it around and manipulate it without fear or anger then watch how the animal reacts to other cats. Limited amounts of fear is normal.. attacking other cats is not.

Anyway hope this helps. It's how I have adopted all of my cats and I have no problem introducing new cats into my family.. medicating my babies.. holding them, etc.
mks 7-15-02
2006-03-23 06:32:09 UTC
Mollykay My Cat Is Very Anti Social. When Certian People Are There She Comes Out. Other Wise She Hides.
2016-10-15 11:07:29 UTC
This behaviour is completely typical. My kitten is almost 7 months and nonetheless does this. It often lasts for about 40 5 minutes contained in the nighttime. He runs everywhere, skids on the tiles, jumps on the settee, the chairs, containers, even the dogs, yet he hasn't ever once tried to damage us even as he's in this mood. it truly is in trouble-free words a playful aspect and he's operating off extra means. attempt to cajole your daughter that the kitten skill no damage, or maybe as it receives into this mood, try attracting it really is interest with a toy, alongside with a rolled up little bit of alfoil, or a ball with a bell in it. Then it really is going to play with that somewhat than tearing up the homestead.
la_la_la
2006-03-23 06:31:53 UTC
My best recommendation is to spend time observing and playing with the kitten when you go to the shelter. Often times they have rooms specifically for you to do this before making a descision.

I lucked out with a super-social kitty, and can tell you that when I first saw him, he was hamming it up for the people passing his cage, making eye contact, meowing, and trying to get people's attention. Once I had an opportunity to play with him, I knew he was going to have a very social personality and signed the papers on the spot!

Try and look for kittens that are alert and playful. The best thing I think I did in making my kitten more social was to expose him to many different types of people so he was not afraid of family and friends who came to visit.
Bonnie ♥
2006-03-23 06:32:31 UTC
The best to go about it is rescue a kitten that has been handled my people a lot. The wild kitties are shy of people, but the ones that were handled with love attach better to people. Ask for the kitties' history. If they don't know then find another kitty, no matter how cute.

Happy kitty searching!
armitageshanks
2006-03-23 06:30:40 UTC
We chose a kitten that jumped on us in the shelter. Turned out to be the biggest scardey-cat ever. On the other hand he's very friendly to us and would never scratch or bite. I'd take a ball of wool and see which one ends up near your hand!
CF_
2006-03-23 07:10:34 UTC
kitten behavior does not determine adult behavior..

generally look for one that is active and friendly but if you really want to see what they will be like as adults, you must adopt an adult....

also some things like declawing can change behavior (some cats become paranoid or nervous biters)

food dyes and additives can change cats behaviors too
the_bad_cats
2006-03-23 11:21:50 UTC
I would suggest the OLDER the better.

Kittens can do a complete 180 on their personality by the time they reach adulthood, which is why we always suggested looking for a adult (or much older kitten) if you are looking for a certain personality.
xxelliexx_ellie
2006-03-23 08:36:36 UTC
you should look for a cat that dose not fight
uttoransen
2006-03-23 06:28:35 UTC
it's all right.