Question:
Does anyone have a theory...why do cats get into "grooming mode" when they are scratched on the lower back?
2X97cobra
2006-03-14 18:04:31 UTC
I have searched many sites for this piece of trivia to no avail. I am curious as to what kind of toughts you all may have about this... It is pretty strange.
Eight answers:
lilchicken2u
2006-03-14 21:09:52 UTC
I don't know the definitive answer, but all my cats don't respond the same. Of my 4 indoor girl cats, 2 go into crazy grooming mode when rubbed on their backs above the tail and two don't. The 2 that do, seemed so exquisitely pleased with this, that they often now do it to each other, slurping loudly. My vet said cat licking is like "cat kisses", not just the "grooming" activity that we interpret it as. Personally, I think if a cat acts that way, she is blessed with a "pleasure spot" and deserves to enjoy it as often as she wants.
2006-03-14 18:53:44 UTC
Some cats experience a condition called Feline Hyperesthesia. What kind of cat do you have? Some breeds, such as Himalayans, Siamese, Burmese and Abyssinians are more prone to this condition.

"Hyperesthesia syndrome, sometimes referred to as self-mutilation syndrome, rolling skin syndrome, twitchy cat disease or atypical neurodermatitis, is a problem in cats that can cause twitching of the skin, vocalizing, excessive grooming, sudden jerking, running around as if being chased, a dislike of being touched and tail swishing."
sabrina_78704
2006-03-14 20:01:44 UTC
Cats have a natural antibiotic in their saliva and they tend to be scratched most near their flanks by other cats. So maybe its natural that when they have a "scratch" like sensation in that area they clean just in case there is an injury to prevent infection.
ride2cowboy
2006-03-14 18:09:19 UTC
My theory is that they have very sensitive nerve endings in this area, and when they are scratched, I believe that it triggers these nerves.
2006-03-14 19:24:50 UTC
maybe their obsite with grooming and keeping their caots clean
2006-03-14 18:13:34 UTC
instinct....that's the spot their mother licks when they are born and it starts them to groom there self?
April
2006-03-14 18:21:44 UTC
I think it reminds them to take care...some instict or someting, so I have heard
mks 7-15-02
2006-03-14 18:11:18 UTC
That Just What They Do.